1/3/12

What sort of bullshit is this?

I just don't get it. Marriage. Any of it. Its hypocritical of me, as I am ( sort of) married, and think of myself as such. Did you know that between 40 and 50% of marriages end in divorce? Of course you did. I am sitting here thinking about this, and if you are reading this, you are probably divorced. Most people I know are. I am too.

Senator Kevin Lundberg of Berthoud, CO, wants it written into law that married people with minor children must go to family counseling and then have a 'cooling off 'period before filing for divorce.

Couple things. First, I have heard of 'jumping into marriage', but never, ever have I heard of someone getting divorced on a whim. Every single person I know who either is, or has been married takes/ took his/ her marriage very seriously. Getting a divorce is already difficult, expensive, and worth it. This guy wants to make it more so. He says that parents wanting a divorce need to get counseling so they can be educated on how it will affect the kids. But, what about how being involved in a bad family situation affects the kids? Yeah, divorce is hard, on everyone involved. But isn't staying in a bad situation harder?

I just can't figure out why. What the point of this bill? Who fucking cares? And why? Why spend so much time and energy in the private lives of people? Are we not adults, capable of making our own decisions?  Apparently not, according to Sen. Lundberg. This dude says that he would welcome the support of Dr. Laura, so that right there should tell you all you need to know. If he is half as bananas as she is, then how did he get elected? The truth is probably this. He wants to introduce this bill, because he wants to reinforce the ' family values this country was built on', harumph harumph blah blah blah. Dude. Nothing erodes family values like reality television. Ever heard of 'Celebrity Wife Swap'? Talk about making a mockery of marriage.

 Why would a Republican, who is supposed to stand for LESS government, want this law passed? Why won't the government stay the fuck out of our bedrooms? Why can't they understand that it is none of their goddamn business? You know? Look. Senator. Over here. Listening? Ok. Fix the roads. Fix the schools. Allow business to do business. I won't pry into your private life, and you stay out of mine. Stop trying to legislate morality. I do not need the government to tell me that I need a 'cooling off' period for my kids. I know what my kid needs waaaaaayyyy better than you, senator. So, please, take your bill, and go away.   Because you all know whats next, if this passes, right? It will be bye-bye no-fault divorce. You will need a goverment- approved reason for getting a divorce. Think about that.

L8r.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I agree with you on the Lundberg bill. So did most of the leadership of the CO legislature... and he wisely pulled the bill from consideration after realizing it was not too well thought out. I know Kevin from party politics when I was involved up until a three years ago when N and I retired from it. I think he meant well from his Christian perspective, but quite candidly, the Christian right has no more business in my bedroom than the liberal left has in my trashcan - or my wallet... J