11/2/11

Todays F & G (Now with pictures!)

If the rumors I hear are correct, then it is snowy and cold back in the Motherland. It sucks here too. Slight breeze, about 50 degrees, give or take, partly sunny. Just terrible. I may need a nap. And perhaps a glass of wine. Maybe not in that order.

So. Years and years ago, I was driving through Texas, between Houston and who-knows-where, when I stopped at some little shithole truckstop.
Man, trucks are getting smaller and smaller.
Sometimes, local folks sell their wares at these places. Local.... whatever. This particular time, I happened upon a display with candied cactus and jalapenos. Being me, I bought them both. The cactus was..ok. The jalapenos, however, I mean wow. Sweet, spicy, delicious. I was in love. Sweet, sweet love. Long story short, I make them here, for me, cuz I have yet to meet a frenchman who really likes spicy. I don't want to sell the French short, here, though. These people know a thing or two about the yummy.


This time, at the market we shop for produce at, I got red, yellow, orange and green ones. Man, are they beautiful.
Marky market!
Todays stroll in the woods began at Fort St. Eynard.
There
From there I went kinda southeast, along the top of the mountain. What a view. And its cool as shit. I found a place for the most bitchen party ever, as long as you don't mind losing a couple guests. Drunk people fall a lot, so I'm told, and the first step here is a biggie.









Pretty cool. A good time was had by all, all being me. Its cool, you know, looking down on planes and helicopters, seeing the city, little teeny cars going by on the toy highway. Oh yeah, on the first Wednesday of every month, they test the air raid sirens at noon, so there's that.

Finally, I just got on Facebook. I want all my new/old friends to see what I look like now, because its been a whole lotta years since most of you and I have spoken or seen us. Plus, my hair told me to. So here it is. Buckle up.
Boo!


One of the things I like about living here is the pace of life. Its a huge cultural difference. We, as Americans, put so much stock into the future, invest, buy a house, save save save, get that badass new car/pool/boat that I think a lot of us forget to live our lives. Its always hustle on to the next thing, or you've failed. The french have the same concerns, but I think they also keep in mind the importance of living in the moment. Its really hard to put into words. So, I'll just say this. 35 hour work week, 5 weeks vacation, 2 hour lunch.

Peace.

3 comments:

CJOYM said...

Dig the curly hair, Chris...and is that a bit-o-grey in your beard?? Makes you look like a distinguished hippie.
I TOTALLY get what you're saying about the shorter week, longer vaca and lunch time. I'm longing for a simpler place where one's days aren't just categorically lengthened just because the governor said "teachers' unions can't negotiate length of school day." So, my system, which before had said "We're behind you teachers, and we would NEVER screw you" changed our school work day from 6 1/2 hours to 8. (with no increase in pay) Just. Like. That. (which, btw, dropped my hourly wage about $10/hr.) I'm kinda whining, aren't I? Well, what is is, no more, no less. I'm just grateful that I don't feel obligated nor shackled. I make a choice every day to come to work. I know I can knock on the door of any country and say "I teach English" and they'll say, "Come in, PLEASE!!!" Blah, blah, blah!!

Unknown said...

We do love our quality of life hre. And we don't take it for granted either, not after living in the States!
Don't you think Chris looks like Wild Bill???

Babe...you're a king of kings in cell phone pictures!!!

dionadem
(sounds like a form of contraception no?)

CJM said...

Now that you mention it, yes, all he's missing is the 10 gallon hat and a 6 shooter.