12/22/11

Crap I been thinkin' 'bout...

The STRIP act is a thing that is supposed to prevent TSA 'officers' from wearing law enforcement uniforms and police-type badges unless they receive some sort of law enforcement training, which they currently don't.

Strikes me as a non-issue, other than its going to piss off the TSA, which is always good. The TSA has, in large part, contributed to the fact that travelers are considered guilty until proven innocent, and are completely intimidated by the TSA into removing our shoes, belts, hats, and either being scanned with dangerous machines or molested.

The American Federation of Government Employees said that the bill is insulting to the 44000 TSA workers it represents, and does nothing to add to our national security. They also said that every member of Congress should be supporting federal employees, not trying to demean them. That's a quote.

What bullshit. First of all, the TSA insults the American traveling public daily, so fuck them. Furthermore, every member of Congress should, first and foremost, support their constituents, and do what they can to protect their constituents from such intrusive.... bullshit.


Oh well. On a lighter note, Congress is enjoying an all time low 11% approval rating. Hi-oohh!

I have been accused of  'hating' on the U.S., because I live in France, and if I'm bitchin, I'm bitchin about the States. That is true, but I do not hate the States. I love it. It's the motherland. I miss the motherland terribly. I live here because I want to, and I miss my other home. I'm allowed. Plus, my French sucks, so I read American newspapers for what is going on in the world. American news sources tend to focus on... America.

In the past week or so, here in France, teachers have gone on strike, bus drivers and tram drivers too,  and now, our equivalent of the TSA is on strike. So the cops have stepped in. Looks like huge fun at whatever airport the news showed on TV. Huge lines, and sour looks on the faces of the cops, who I am sure are trained to never ever smile. And, a couple of summers ago, prostitutes in Paris went on strike. Badass.

Workers rights are very important here in France. Its not like in the States at all, where you can quit or be fired for nothing, with no consequences, except in extreme cases. Here, workers have rights, and the powers that be take it seriously.

I apologize for the vagueness of this next part, but I have something to get off my chest, and I need to cover my ass.

I have made some mistakes at work. Everyone does, nobody is perfect, but most people are allowed to get past it, learn from mistakes, blah blah blah. This is true at my job, but not for me, Like I have said here before, certain people have mistaken my lack of proficiency in French for being stupid. That's how it feels, anyway.

I know that some individuals don't want me to work there anymore, but firing me is difficult, and expensive. Workers here have contracts, and mine is unending. Has no end date. If it had one, it would be simple. Just don't renew the contract.

But mine is  unending. What some people  have decided to do, is make me quit. Its a form of harassment. They put the other mechanics to work on motorcycles, while I count nuts and bolts. The other mechanics go to Paris to further their education while I don't. I am lied to and insulted every day.

I really hate to admit this, because it feels like weakness, but I have been having anxiety attacks, I cannot quit smoking, I am really super stressed out because of this. So, yesterday I went to see my doctor. He actually prescribed Xanax, and gave me a doctors ordered month off. God bless socialized medicine. The French take the health, physical and mental, of their workforce very seriously.

The absolute worst thing is feeling like I failed. I have a very American ' shut the fuck up and get to work' attitude, so this. Seeing a doctor? Really? Its hard, admitting that I may actually have a problem that I have no control over. But, at least here in France, fair and equal treatment is a right, and when you don't get it, over time, it can be bad for your health.

I have compared it to this. I have worked in industries in the States where certain tan skinned people, who have immigrated to the U.S. from warmer, more southern climes have also worked. Generally, no matter how hard they work, how smart they are, how much they care about what they do, they are usually spoken to, and about, and generally treated like they are just a thing, a disposable tool, to be used and discarded. Not human. Its disgusting. It takes a special kind of person to see that guy for what he is, and treat him equally. I do not enjoy working for that special kind of guy. And because I am different, I also do not enjoy the fair and equal treatment the law says I get. It feel a lot like racism.

So that's what is happening.

No comments: